What is the Digital Workplace?
Workplace technologies are constantly changing. Businesses are connecting more devices, people, and processes in their attempt to gain a competitive advantage, and are undergoing a digital transformation known as the Digital Workplace similar to Cisco’s Digital Ceiling or Digital Building concept. The Digital Workplace extends the benefits of the Internet of Things (IoT) throughout the facility. It changes the way a building operates, and how workers connect to the technologies in place. When fully implemented, the Digital Workplace will offer building occupants a combination of information, efficiency, convenience, security, and comfort.
Convergence of Separate Systems
The Digital Workplace uses IP and Power over Ethernet (PoE) to connect formerly siloed networks (WAP, LED lighting, A/V, HVAC, IoT sensors, etc) into a single converged IP network for both building and IT systems. With an increasing trend of continually integrating new devices as IP endpoints, the foundation for simplified building operations is already in place. The same IP intelligence that changed the game for managing building telephony systems makes it just as easy to manage other building control systems inside your already established IT managed service framework.
Digital Workplace Efficiency:
- Lower-cost, more efficient workplaces: The Digital Workplace lowers the cost of workplace system installation, operation, and management through unified communications and centralized control of global facilities. As a result, it is easier to automate workplace services.
- Transformative new experiences: Different systems (lighting, heating, and air conditioning, as well as communications, A/V, physical security and access control) can now easily and securely work together. They can adapt to users’ needs in real time to make spaces work better for individuals, groups, functions, and teams, while significantly improving the productivity, safety, and comfort of facility occupants.
- New business insights through analytics: By combining connected endpoints with sensors, organizations gain deeper insights into how employees, customers, and guests utilize indoor spaces. You can adapt workspaces to improve productivity and efficiency, and make better use of valuable real estate. You can also glean concrete data to inform decision making about facility operations and planning.
- Increased/seamless security: Advanced security features provide comprehensive threat intelligence and defense by using the network as a sensor and enforcer.
Operating costs are lower, and detailed analytics are now possible across the system. Deeper insight means improved efficiency, and, ultimately, smarter business decisions.
Download this FREE CHECKLIST to ensure you don’t forget the cost of any of the technologies you will use in your next commercial/industrial workplace renovation or new construction project…
Power over Ethernet (PoE): The Ideal Power Source
The Power over Ethernet (PoE) standard allows both power and data to be transferred over the same wires. When the engineers needed an IoT device that’s common to all rooms, lighting became the obvious choice; DC powered LED fixtures would be the heart of the control system. Since PoE LED lighting is controlled by building management systems and it can run on relatively low power, PoE is an ideal power source. You have a PoE infrastructure with the scale, capacity, and resilience that you can rely on as a core foundation of your building installation.
Lower Costs and Simpler Management
The Digital Workplace yields major cost savings by converging previously disparate networks over a single, centrally controlled architecture. The Digital Workplace delivers the essential capabilities needed to make these cost savings a reality:
- Reduced power and lighting costs
- Streamlined maintenance
- Simplified installations
- Reduced operating expenses
- Optimized energy efficiency
- Shift from capital Investments to operational savings
Contact PTS on 201-337-3833 when you’re ready to make your smart building even smarter.