|Happy New Year from everyone at PTS Data Center Solutions! PTS is proud to release our latest e-newsletter. As mentioned previously, PTS continues to expand upon our unique position as an integrated facility and IT consultancy by providing useful information for both disciplines.
This month we focus on results of a recent analysis performed here at PTS for our own computer room. The results shed light on the true impact and return expected from facility and IT upgrades aimed at improving energy efficiencies in a data center or computer room. Check out the discussion below related to the Impact of IT Upgrades on Energy Usage and Operation Cost white paper including suggestions on how to get support from your local utility provider.
Other topics in our solutions showcase include:
- Managed Services: PTS is proud to announce improvements to our Managed Services offerings for both IT and facilities infrastructure. As we continue to expand our services we have recognized a need in the market to provide a suite of monitoring and maintenance services geared to support clients with limited internal monitoring, process control, network security, and IT or facilities personnel. Make sure to check this section out, particularly if you are struggling to monitor and manage your IT infrastructure including all models and makes of servers, workstations, and network elements.
- Uninterruptible Power Supply (UPS) Services and Solutions: PTS is a leading provider of UPS solutions in today’s market. As a strategic consultancy, we focus on developing key design criteria, forming a deep understanding of current and future requirements for power, designing and delivering best-in-class solutions, and monitoring and maintaining UPS assets on behalf of our clients. Ultimately, we strive to help our clients make the correct decision in terms of product, type, features, redundancy, and manufacturer. Visit this section to learn more about our comprehensive consulting, design, procurement, commissioning, and maintenance solutions related to power back-up.
Finally, we continue to release other new white papers and are busy with quotes in various online and print media. Visit the PTS Media Library to learn more about PTS white papersand also check out what’s new for PTS in the news.
As always, please think of us for your next data center project — whether it is infrastructure, facility, or IT related.
President & Founder
PTS Data Center Solutions, Inc
Experts For Your Always Available Data Center
|PTS Study: Impact of IT Upgrades on Energy Usage and Operational Costs
|With the high costs of power, energy efficiency has rapidly become a critical consideration when evaluating data center performance. It is, perhaps, second only to performance when deciding upon data center facility and network design. Higher energy consumption is a recurring cost that can add dramatically to operating expense over time. Furthermore, devices that consume more power require more cooling which not only further increases energy costs but impacts the physical design of the data center.
During 2010 PTS researched the true impact of data center IT upgrades on energy usage and operational costs. The focus of the study was to gain in-depth understanding of the correlation between facility and IT upgrades as they impacted an organization’s ability to manage, maintain, and provide IT services to support the company’s operation. Culminating in a published white paper, PTS personnel validated energy efficiency savings estimates using the upgrade of our IT system within our data center facility and operations as a test bed.
In the end, PTS consolidated its server footprint by approximately 60% using virtualization technologies, implemented managed switch and network security devices, and implemented an iSCSI SAN solution. At the same time, IT energy consumption was reduced by 24%, yielding a 26% drop in facility power consumption.
Beyond downloading the white paper, if you would like to learn more about PTS’ Energy Usage Assessment services, virtualization assessment services, or PTS’ participation in local utility energy efficiency studies and audits, please contact us. PTS has been contracted by multiple utilities to provide energy audit survey services.
|The PTS Data Center Solutions Showcase –Managed Services
|PTS has provided IT and facilities maintenance solutions for several years. However, we are pleased to announce significant enhancements to our Managed Services offering. The service includes 7×24 remote monitoring of client networks, servers, workstations, and applications with options for onsite and remote proactive maintenance, help desk support, facility monitoring and maintenance, and strategic IT guidance.
Most IT and Facility maintenance companies provide service using the traditional ‘break-fix’ model where the provider receives fees when the client network is in distress. Traditional service provider business models are based on getting paid when clients experience downtime & when they lose access to critical business services.
The difference with the PTS Proactive Support model is that we make money when client networks are up and running. With that in mind, it’s in PTS’ best interest to keep client IT infrastructure operating smoothly.
In addition, unlike other vendors, PTS provides qualified technical staff to maintain and service both the IT and facilities assets within the enterprise. Unlike other providers, these integrated capabilities allow PTS to deliver comprehensive Managed Services solutions.
PTS is launching three levels of Managed Services including: Reactive (Monitoring), Proactive, and Comprehensive service solutions
To learn more about PTS Managed Services Click Here.
|The PTS Data Center Solutions Showcase – UPS Services & Solutions
|As perhaps the largest mid-market provider of Uninterruptible Power Supplies (UPS) in the country, PTS is poised to service the critical power at all levels. PTS provides comprehensive services throughout the project lifecycle.
- System Analysis: Perhaps your power budget has or is changing? PTS performsPower Systems Analysis to determine critical loads and assess the viability of your back-up power (both UPS and generator) to support the current and expected future power loads. Ultimately, we develop a series of Key Design Criteria (KDCs) used to match your requirements to the multitudes of UPS technology and manufacturer solutions.
- Procurement: Working with your KDCs, including budget requirements, PTS procures UPS solutions from the leading manufacturers in the space today (UPS solutions pages), all at prices unavailable to the end user direct from the manufacturer.
- Commissioning: PTS data center site commissioning services ensure your systems are installed properly, are performing consistent with their design, and will work as anticipated during fail-over scenarios.
- Monitoring: PTS provides power monitoring capabilities at the UPS, PDU, transfer switch, and power strip level. We can establish and train your staff to monitor or provide monitoring through our Managed Services program.
- Maintenance: Certified PTS technical staff are available to provide regularly scheduled preventive maintenance for UPS solutions from all major manufacturers, which is known to extend the life of these mission critical assets and improve overall data center availability.
|PTS Education & White Papers
|Check out the latest white papers added to our website! We’re sure there will be some interesting content for your reading pleasure. For up-to-the-minute educational information don’t forget to check out the PTS Blog – Data Center Design and consider joining the LinkedIn Computer Room Design Group. We do all we can to keep up-to-date on the latest industry trends and look to share this information with you!
This month we’re excited to announce two new home-grown white papers.
Impact of IT Upgrades on Energy Usage and IT Costs
This white paper is discussed in detail earlier in this e-newsletter.
Click here to download the white paper.
Developing a Preventive Maintenance Plan for Your Data Center
The proverbial rhyme “For Want of a Nail” aptly illustrates the consequences of small actions not taken.
For want of a nail the shoe was lost.
For want of a shoe the horse was lost.
For want of a horse the rider was lost.
For want of a rider the battle was lost.
For want of a battle the kingdom was lost.
And all for the want of a horseshoe nail.
If this were updated and put into the data center, perhaps this rhyme would begin with the line:
For want of effective maintenance the UPS (or CRAC…) was lost.
Data center maintenance is an important component in ensuring maximum data center availability. Maintenance is more than simply a set of procedures. It is an overall strategy that requires clear objectives, well-defined roles and responsibilities, sufficient resources to accomplish the goals, and an organization that is committed to continuous operations.
This white paper provides a comprehensive approach to developing a preventive maintenance plan for your data center.
Click here to download the white paper.
|In the News
|Impact of IT Upgrades on Energy Usage
and Operational Cost
October 19, 2010
This recently released white paper was published in its entirety by Bitpipe.com. Read an overview in the white paper section above.
To Download the White Paper, Please Click Here
The 10 Best Data Center Education and Certification Opportunities
September 30, 2010
Who better to offer training than the people who build and maintain data centers? Design, training and consulting from the guys who know the business from the slab to the light fixtures. They offer onsite specialized and custom training. You can add in a one-day data center assessment for a mere $5,000.
To Read the Full Article, Please Click Here
To See our Full Schedule of Data Center Education Classes, Click Here
Data Center Building Trends, A Look At What’s New In Size, Organization & Layout For Data Centers
September 24, 2010 · Vol.32 Issue 20
Although many data center managers might yearn for a center that can last a decade, very few will manage to stick it out that long, believes Peter Sacco, president of PTS Data Center Solutions. “Build what you think you need for the next three to five years,” he advises. “At this point, facilities have become similar in their build cycles to replacement of IT hardware, and we’re finding that you’re lucky if you get two builds out of one facility.” Because facilities need to be tweaked far more often than in the past, here’s a look at the latest data center building trends.
To Read the Full Article, Please Click Here