As the complexity of IT infrastructure continues to increase in data centers, managers must look ahead to avoid unexpected downtime. A list of 10 common surprises for data center/IT managers was released by PTS supplier, Emerson Network Power, at AFCOM Data Center World Spring 2012.
|According to a Ponemon Institute study, an outage can cost an organization|
an average of about $5,000 per minute. That’s $300,000 in just an hour.
The 10 common surprises include:
- Those high-density predictions finally are coming true
- Data center managers will replace servers three times before they replace UPS or cooling systems
- Downtime is expensive
- Water and the data center do not mix – but we keep trying
- New servers use more power than old servers
- Monitoring is a mess
- The IT guy is in charge of the building’s HVAC system
- That patchwork data center needs to be a quilt
- Data center on demand is a reality
- IT loads vary – a lot
For complete details on the Emerson list, click here.
As a Diamond Solutions Partner for Emerson, PTS Data Center Solutions leverages our engineering and architectural experience in designing and building data centers with our IT network, storage, virtualization expertise to avoid the surprises mentioned in the article before they result in significant downtime. To learn more contact PTS today.