View analytics on a per-VM basis to identify rightsizing opportunities across your environment.
We often deploy virtual machines intending to use them for a specific purpose and specific time duration. Many of these workloads are intended to be replaced or powered off after their initial use. We may also find that we just don’t know what the performance characteristics of a workload may be over time, and so we err on the side of oversizing a VM in our initial definition phase. In an active, dynamic data center environment, these virtual machines can quickly become lost in the noise of powered-on virtual machines. Over time, these lost virtual machines may move from active to idle and quickly become forgotten. Such forgotten VMs can contribute to a lack of available resources, or worse—resource contention.
The PTS VM Assessment aims to help you identify workloads that can benefit from rightsizing the allocated resources based on actual utilization. These workloads may perform just as well with a reduction in CPU and RAM, while releasing resources for others to consume in the same environment.
The VM Rightsizing Assessment also offers the following benefits:
- Find idle VMs
- Find VMs that span NUMA nodes
- Find VMs with high CPU ready times too large for the environment
- Find VMs that are heavily used and may need more resources
- Find VMs wasting resources with reservations
Apply these savings to more than just your resource optimization.
- The additional benefits of reduced CPU and memory contention can also potentially improve application response time and user experience.
- Take advantage of long-running statistics and show your application owners what they are really consuming, guiding them to realistic resource requests for deployed applications.
- In an environment where charge-back is applied, these minor adjustments could lead to significant savings for a line of business or organization.
Take advantage of these analytics and
rightsize your virtual machines today!
PTS offers data center consulting services for enterprises large and small, including:
- Data Center Planning Consulting (Premise vs. Colo vs. Cloud Strategy)
- Colocation Site Selection (by Region & Needs)
- Colocation Requirements & RFP Development
- Colocation Provider Survey, Assessment, and Scoring
- Colocation Site Design & Build-Out (Cages, Cabinets, Power Distribution, Monitoring, etc.)
- Data Cabling Design & Construction
- Relocation Planning & Execution
- Colocation Site IT Managed Services and/or Facility Managed Services
To learn more about related PTS Services and Programs, visit:
- Data Center Planning & Pre-Design Services
- PTS Data Center Power & Cooling Systems Analysis
- Data Center Site Assessment
- Data Center Availability & Risk Assessment
- Data Center Feasibility Consulting
- Data Center Project Cost Estimating
- Business Continuity & Disaster Recovery
- Thermography Assessment Service
- PTS Data Center Energy Usage Assessment Service
- PTS Virtualization Strategies & Assessments
- IT Business Continuity & Disaster Recovery