Virtual Desktop Infrastructure (VDI): An Introduction
Virtual Desktop Infrastructure (VDI) introduces a new way of managing user environments. VDI allows IT administrators to host and administer user desktops on Virtual Infrastructure in the data center. Users access their desktop using a remote desktop protocol. While sharing similarities with other computing models, VDI offers many new and compelling benefits for increasing manageability, performance, and security of user desktops/PCs.
VDI is a key initiative for many organizations looking to reduce administrative overhead while providing a more secure, flexible and reliable desktop computing environment for end users. Proper planning and good decision making are required to ensure a successful deployment. Choosing the right virtualization platform to host the virtual desktop implementation is often the first major decision and can make or break the entire transformation.
Important considerations when choosing the best VDI platform include:
- Does the platform provide the features, reliability, and high availability to meet the business requirements?
- Is the platform reliable and proven?
- Does the platform provide a secure foundation for all the virtual desktops?
- Can the infrastructure be standardized on the same platform as the existing server virtualization?
- How will the choice made today impact future migration to a cloud environment?
- How does the VDI platform choice impact options for a VDI solution?
Choosing the Right VDI Software: VMware Horizon View
The key to success of any VDI initiative is choosing the right virtualization software. VMware Horizon™ Suite, and more specifically VMware Horizon View™, delivers a personalized high fidelity experience for end users across all sessions and devices. It enables higher availability and agility of desktop services unmatched by traditional PCs, while reducing the total cost of desktop ownership by up to 50%. VMware Horizon View end users achieve higher levels of productivity and the freedom to access desktops from more devices and locations.
PTS can deploy VDI from within PTS’ Cloud Data Center or from a hosted deployment. Contact PTS with your VDI needs, and we’ll tailor a solution to match your requirements in your preferred environment.
- Virtual Desktop Infrastructure (VDI) Implementation with SimpliVity’s OmniStack
SimpliVity OmniStack is the perfect solution to deliver VDI with the user experience end-users expect and at the cost that you require.
- Tintri: The Proven Storage Solution for VDI
Built on the industry’s only intelligent VM-aware storage architecture, Tintri VMstore has the intelligence to deliver unparalleled performance and efficiency, and end-to-end insights into the storage infrastructure for unmatched VM control.
Additional VDI Resources
To learn more about related PTS Services and Programs, contact us or visit:
- Data Center Planning & Pre-Design Services
- PTS Data Center Power & Cooling Systems Analysis
- Data Center Site Assessment
- Data Center Availability & Risk Assessment
- Data Center Feasibility Consulting
- Data Center Project Cost Estimating
- Business Continuity & Disaster Recovery
- Thermography Assessment Service
- PTS Data Center Energy Usage Assessment Service
- PTS Virtualization Strategies & Assessments
- IT Business Continuity & Disaster Recovery