Sprawling servers, operating and storage systems, and desktop applications create a costly and complex IT environment. To keep this computer equipment expansion manageable, data center consolidation has become an increasingly popular choice for IT professionals.
Data center consolidation can help your company get the most from its resources by reducing costs, elevating service levels and improving IT manageability. With the right approach, your business can achieve its returns on investment (ROI) objectives in a very short period of time.
Data center consolidation efforts generally fall into one of the four categories listed here:
- Logical – The centralized management of mission critical systems and applications that increases productivity among IT staff
- Geographic/Physical – The closing of unnecessary data centers and movement of data center equipment to a single location, reducing real estate costs and allowing for more consistent management
- Homogenous – The merging of single applications that resided on multiple servers onto one server
- Heterogeneous – The merging of different applications that resided on multiple servers onto one server
Everything contained within a data center has consolidation potential, although not every application may require such treatment. To optimize your operations, PTS can plan your consolidation project while steering clear of common pitfalls.
As a brief aside, few realize the true cost impact of deploying high-density servers within a data center. Just a few years ago, the ratio of square footage of support infrastructure space (UPS, CRAC, generators, etc.) required to support IT infrastructure (servers, switches, routers, etc.) was one-to-one (1:1). Today, this ratio exceeds 2:1 for some high-availability data center designs. Serious consideration must be given to the true cost of data center consolidation due to high-density deployment.
By talking with your developers, database administrators, and system administrators, our experts can help you decide if data center consolidation can work for your company. If you are looking for a technology company that prides itself on solving problems while providing optimum equipment reliability, turn to PTS.
To learn more about PTS’ Data Center Consolidation Services, contact us or visit:
- PTS Data Center Project Process
- Network-Critical Physical Infrastructure
- Intelligent Data Center Solutions
- Help with High Density Cooling
- Data Center Consolidation
- Data Center Moving Made Simple
- How to Achieve a Dark Data Center
- Data Center Cooling Challenges
- Data Center Cooling Renovation
- PTS Project References
- Data Center Colocation Services
- PTS Media Library
- Data Center Floor Planning
- Data Center Architecture
- PTS Data Center Design Blog