Data Center Consulting
Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) Services
for Data Center & Computer Room Design, Operations, and Maintenance
Click to Request a Sample
Conceptual Design Package PTS utilizes powerful 3-D CFD software for the design, operational analysis, and maintenance for data center and computer rooms of all types and sizes. The intent is to provide better designs and management of mission critical facilities throughout their lifetime. Our goal is to minimize the risk of cooling problems as well as increase the overall manageability and performance of the site.
Computational Fluid Dynamics Modeling as a Design Tool
CFD modeling gives engineers the luxury to consider several design options in the minimum amount of time. As a result, the final design is not based on a tentative approach, but is a result of a professional design process considering several options and selecting the optimum solution. This can save on capital and operational costs as well as save time by avoiding mistakes and during commissioning.
The following is how PTS uses Computational Fluid Dynamics modeling in the data center design process:
Room Types Supported by Computational Fluid Dynamics Analysis
- Architectural Shell
- Map Obstructions
- Raised Floor & Suspended Ceiling Layout
- Computer Room Air Conditioner (CRAC) Methodology
- CFD Model
- Model Analysis & Update
- Site Engineering &
Our software can analyze just about any cooling methodology and CRAC configuration including:
Computational Fluid Dynamics Operational Baseline Service
Once the design, engineering, construction, and commissioning is complete the data center can be made operational with introducing the equipment that will comprise the critical load. Building a CFD baseline of the cooling dynamics of the site is vital once the IT infrastructure has been populated.
The following is how PTS uses CFD modeling in the data center operations process:
Cabinet CFD Modeling
- Perform Site Survey & Equipment Mapping
- Create Cabinet CFD Models
- Create a Room CFD Model
- Perform a Site Survey to Validate the Model
- Make Necessary Adjustments to the Model
The CFD software we use has the ability to analyze the characteristics of individual cabinets down to the equipment level. Vendor specific IT infrastructure or "kit" as it is referred to, can be loaded into a cabinet and analyzed to determine the temperature of the air entering and exiting the equipment. In fact, our software is complex enough to determine how variations in cabinet position, the use of blanking plates, and other factors will affect the cabinet's cooling profile.
Maintaining a Computational Fluid Dynamics Modeled Computer Room
The integrity of the cooling behavior of a computer room is disrupted by its load growth. Operational changes to the room have a direct impact on the temperatures in the room.
To ensure continued high performance of the site, it is necessary to predict the affect equipment changes will have on the site before they are implemented.
The following is how PTS uses CFD modeling during the data center maintenance process:
1. Provide the Client with a CFD Management Module
2. PTS Provides Periodic and/or Event Specific CFD Model Updates as the Operational Condition Changes
- Maintain a complete asset inventory log
- Maintain redundant and capacity cooling constraints of the facility
- Maintain a detailed change order log
For More Information about Computational Fluid Dynamics services...
To request a quote for PTS's Computational Fluid Dynamics Baseline and/or Maintenance Services, please send an email to CFD@PTSdcs.com with the following information:
- The physical address of the location
- The square footage of the computer room to be modeled
- The number of server cabinets, racks, and stand-alone pieces of equipment in the computer room
- The number of IT infrastructure devices (servers, switches, routers, storage arrays, etc.) the computer room supports
To learn more about other PTS Data Center Data Center Consulting, Design, and Build Services, contact us or visit: